About the project
AES is contributing to the modernization of the country's electricity grid by building India’s First Grid-Scale battery energy storage facility in Delhi. In 2017, AES and Mitsubishi Corporation signed a partnership agreement to deliver India’s first grid-scale Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) project using Fluence’s Advancion Energy Storage Technology Platform.
The 10MW one-hour system was inaugurated in February 2019 at a Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (TPDDL) sub-station in Delhi. This project has been built to demonstrate the benefits BESS can bring to the Indian electricity grid. This project has demonstrated the following benefits to TPDDL:
- Deviation Settlement Mechanism
- Voltage Regulation
- Frequency Regulation
- Transmission and Distribution Enhancement
- India’s first grid-scale battery-based energy storage system demonstrating the value of several key applications
- Will boost efficiency and resiliency and ensure greater reliability for more than 2 million residents in Tata Power- DDL’s service area
- Largest battery-based energy storage system deployed in South Asia
- The system has demonstrated that energy storage can address challenges in the areas of peak load management, system flexibility, frequency regulation and reliability on the network – all of which are key concerns for the India market.
- Deploying energy storage will help network operators mitigate solar and wind resources’ variability and reduce congestion on the region’s transmission system, delivering more affordable, clean energy and enabling new sources of revenue from frequency regulation and other grid services.